Good organization and preparation is critical to a successful sailing holiday. A well-prepared checklist is certain to help those that are planning a day or longer on the open waters.
And the necessities might include:
Items of equipment to pack:
- Boat papers or charter agreement
- Passport and relevant visas for the countries visiting
- Sun block and sun cream
- Nonprescription and prescription medication (remedies for seasickness might also be ideal)
- Camera (secured in a water repellent bag)
- Wallet (with sufficient traveler’s checks or cash for paying deposits, tips, provisions, etc)
If you are likely to be bareboat sailing and taking on the responsibility of the navigation, you might want to include:
- Sailing or motor competence certificates (check with the boat company to see which papers are required to meet the boat hire agreement)
- Other relevant boating course certificates or training documentation
- Proof of prior boating experience (contracts from previous hire companies)
- VHF radio certificate
Technology items of use
Kindle, iPad or iPhone. Tech items offer a wide range of uses when on a yacht. A particularly useful aspect to the iPad or iPhone is the ability to download a range of apps which help in the process of navigation, safety, weather reports, and much more. If you believe that you might have difficulty charting a course, download the relevant app and rely on that to guide you across the open waters.
In the process of preparing for the sailing adventure, there are those items that shouldn’t be packed, including:
- Nonessential valuables, like jewelry and watches (especially those that aren’t waterproof)
- Any item which, if lost, could cause undue distress and inconvenience
Remember that a sailing yacht is certain to be very limited in relation to storage space and therefore you want to be as conservative as possible when it comes to packing for this adventure.
Leaving the yacht after the charter
Make sure to leave the yacht clean and in a similar state that was witnessed when first boarding. Check the responsibilities that are noted in accordance with the charter agreement that has been signed.
- Ensure all items of a personal nature are packed up and taken when leaving the yacht.
- Remove all items of food that were taken on board.
- Also, make sure to take photographic evidence of any damage or things in need of fixing and have them reported. Plus, make notes if any complaints are likely to be made.
What is likely to be include on a yacht charter
- Bedding is included
- Navigational aids (instruments, charts, pilot books, etc.)
- Blankets, towels, and similar essentials
The faster the supplies are put together the easier it will be to set-off and get out onto the open waters. It is critical to get the right supplies packed to enjoy a safe and pleasant voyage
- Buy a wide-ranging travel insurance plan when booking the yacht charter
- Give the credit card provider notification of the intend use
- Always check with the charter company to see what forms part of the package