Durable, reliable and economical, the riveted and all-welded aluminum Jon boats (also referred to as flat-bottomed boats) are perfect for shallow bodies of water and used for waterfowl hunting, hauling, fishing, and other commercial activities.
Tough built, the riveted boats are meant to be worked hard, while at the same time maintaining the appearance for years to come. Pull a modified-v or standard flat Jon up a rocky bank or left strapped in the bed of a truck and these hard-wearing vessels will tough it out against all the odds. Jon boats are finished in a standard olive-green or camo-type paint scheme.
Popular Brands of Riveted or Welded Jon Boats –
Available in several different configurations, the manufacturers (Alumacraft, Crestliner, Lowe, Lund, Princecraft, etc) of the flat-bottomed boats offer a wide beam width, a spacious deck area, and multiple storage options for rod lockers and gun boxes. Multiple seating options are also available. Fish-based options consist of the fish finders, trolling motors, moveable pedestal seats, and aerated livewells.
- Alumacraft manufacture a series of ultra-light, smooth-handling, and solid-working traditional flat and V-bottom Boats, at 10 to 16 feet in length, with a toughened construction (wider and stronger ribs) to create one of the most dependable options in the marketplace. Paint finish is often an olive drab green.
- Crestliner manufacture a series of 15 to 20 ft all-welded Jon Boats to create unmatched versatility for fishing or hunting in shallow waters – and available in several different configurations to match the planned use. Paint finish comes in a resilient olive drab green or camouflage.
- Lowe Manufacture a series of all-welded aluminum Jon boats, at 14 to 20 feet in length, with extra-wide bottoms and beam widths for a stable and reliable performance. Built for all applications – hunt – fish or both, these tough-as-nails boats are perfect in the toughest waters. Paint finish is often drab, green enamel paint.
- Lund Manufacture a series of 10 to 18 feet high-strength, alloy-riveted Jon boats to give a high degree of performance and stability in shallow bodies of water. Constructed with extruded ribs, formed-in keels, and spray rails, these utility boats are perfect for the series fowl hunter or angler. Paint finish is in a choice of standard or optional color schemes.
- Princecraft manufacture a series of solid built riveted aluminum Jon boats, at 10 to 14 feet in length, offering maximum strength and durability for all-types of shallow water applications. A series of utility boats that is highly efficient with an ability to run smooth and run steady. Paint finish is a hard-wearing olive drab coating.
Self-build Utility Boat Plans
Elsewhere, for the DIY enthusiast, an authentic set of boat plans or complete kits offer the perfect opportunity to self-construct a 10 to 15 feet flat-bottom boat for several different applications. DIY plans, with complete step-by-step directions help with each stage of the build process, and include advice on constructing the gunwales, seat stringers, frames, chine logs, etc.
Overall, the all-purpose, dependable, and economical aluminum Jon boats are built to survive all on-water applications – from hunting or fishing activities to hauling loads or commercial activities – and exhibit a high degree of ruggedness and stability.