It is really amazing the number of helpful apps that are now available for the Android and iOS platforms.
Here is a selection of some of the high-quality yachting, boating, and sailing apps sold for the mobile devices-
Navigation, Charts, and Maps
One of the most essential applications to download to the iPhone is likely to relate to the charts and maps for helping to navigate the open waters. They are likely to be highly desirable if you are doing a bareboat charter.
- Navionics Nautical Charts: An app with the ability to include nautical maps worldwide (US Coasts, Mediterranean, Europe) is likely to be highly desirable, and works perfectly if you are able to download to a larger screen device, like tablets or iPad.
- Boat Beacon: If you want to remain fully aware of boats that might be in your local area, using the Boat Beacon app is certain to help with avoiding collisions. Its collision detection capabilities are designed to detect other boats within a radius of 60 miles.
- Anchor Alert: A simple yet effective app to give an alert in the event the anchor is being dragged.
- Flashlight: A simple app like the Flashlight is intended to give a high-intensity light that is great for working in low-light conditions such as reading the serial number on boat equipment or supplies. Plus, this app can double up and provide SOS and strobe lighting as well.
- Windbuoy: This app will give reliable notifications of water and air temperature, wave heights and periods, wind speeds, gusts, and direction that are sourced from a high number of NOAA buoys.
- Cheap Gas Plus: A great idea for the trailable boats. This app is designed to help identify a cheap gas station en route to the planned cruising waters.
Tides and Weather
In an attempt to guarantee a safer sailing trip, an app programmed to monitor the tides, currents, and weather is likely to be highly desirable. If you want to keep constantly up-to-date with the local conditions, using the right app means this information is always just seconds away.
- AyeTides: An ability to read the currents and tides in almost any port is likely to be highly desirable for increased safety in mooring up in one of the ports worldwide.
- NavClock: A quick and easy reference to same important information is possible with the Nav Clock app. This application is designed to indicate with large graphics the location, weather, time, and date.
- WeatherAlert: A basic app that is designed to give an instant notification of weather issues in the local area.
- YachtWeather: If you are planning on hiring a boat for the day, a slick weather app like the YachtWeather offers wide-ranging information, including humidity, rainfall risk, storm risk, wave period, wavelength, wave height, wind speed and direction, and temperature. Data is updated at regular intervals to make certain you always have the most up-to-date information.
- Emergency Distress Beacon: Emits a call of distress (and provide location) to someone that can provide assistance or alert the authorities.